Head Guide, Duane
Wise Old Man Guides
Our guides have experience and knowledge of the specific challenges for each trail on the island. We offer safe, knowledgeable guidance on the established trails to and from the backcountry.
Before booking, call 906-201-1588 to ensure availability as boats are booking fast. If you book without calling, any refund is subject to a 10% processing fee to cover debit and credit card expenses. We will make every effort to accommodate your timeframe and explore options with current ferry availability to meet your needs. We may consider the Ranger III as an alternate ferry option.
Every package includes the following:
- Round-trip passage to Isle Royale National Park booked by us on the Isle Royale Queen IV out of Copper Harbor, Michigan, or the Ranger III out of Houghton, Michigan.
- One-night lodging for the eve of departure in Copper Harbor or Houghton, depending on ferry service
- Preboarding safety briefing and final gear weight check
- Phone consultations for preparation and planning
- Q & A Zoom meeting with guide and client
Reach out to explore scheduling options.
Booking three months in advance is strongly recommended.
If you have a specific idea for a trip, we can create a custom plan. Due to the many variables of interisland hops, possible resupply drops via the Voyageur II from Grand Portage, Minnesota and other possible add-ons, prices will be calculated when the specifics are settled.
As mature backpackers, we provide steady leadership & guidance to help ensure that you have a fun & safe adventure in the backcountry of Isle Royale, starting from planning & packing, to transportation, to safety preparedness, to engaging in the activity with you.
You need not be worried about having questions–we are here to help you have the best possible experience on the island where we may view moose, wolves, red fox, beavers, hares and the spectacular views of the waters and ridges of this untamed wilderness.
Duane and Beth